The check engine light can be quite annoying, don’t you agree? It keeps shining bright, and you have no clue what to do with it. If you are in this boat right now, you have come to the right place.
In this article, we will help you understand why your check engine light is on and how you can reset it so that it stops bothering you.
Is it really the check engine light?
It might seem silly, but we urge you to check again. More often than not, people mistake another light such as the service required light to be the check engine light. Double check before you try the solutions!
Why is your check engine light on?
We know you are in a hurry to switch it off, but you need to understand why it is on in the first place because it can actually signal danger. We have listed down the most common reasons here so that you are aware and take steps accordingly:
- Check your gas cap: When the gas cap is not fit in properly or if it is loose, the check engine light switches on. See whether this is the problem. If you think so, remove it and put it back carefully and ensure it is seated well. Disconnect your battery and reconnect it (We will discuss this in the later part of the article) and the light will go off.
- Check the code: An error in the code could also cause the check engine light to switch on. In this case, all you have to do is to diagnose the code using a scanner. You can get a code reader quite easily, or you can rely on an expert for this. The scanner will identify the error and rectify it as well.
How to Reset Check Engine Light On Dodge RAM 1500?
Now that all other possibilities are out of the window let’s see how we can reset the Dodge RAM 1500 check engine light. (Good news: it is very easy!)
1. Disconnect the battery: You don’t need to remove the battery entirely, actually. You just need to remove the negative end of it.
2. WAIT: Waiting is crucial. You need to be patient for a minimum of 20 minutes at this point.
3. Reconnect the battery: After the wait, you just need to reconnect the negative end of the battery and you are done!
Note: If you have an old model, you may have to drive a few miles before it is reset and switches off.
Didn’t we tell you that the process was easy?
If you are doubtful about your engine or if you aren’t sure about the light, we recommend that you leave it to the experts or professionals.