Diesel trucks are powerful vehicles. This is probably one of the reasons why Ford decided to name the engines “Powerstroke.”
Best DEF fluid For Powerstroke
When something as powerful as a diesel truck operates, it releases multiple pollutants into the atmosphere. Thanks to awareness and sensitivity towards the environment, companies have come forward to take steps to reduce the emissions. One such step is the use of diesel exhaust fluid (DEF). Ford joined the bandwagon too to ensure that when the fuel burns, the environment is not affected as much.
DEF Fluid – A Brief
DEF consists of deionized water and carbamide (urea). The carbamide is, however, not the natural ingredient. To formulate DEF, synthetically made carbamide is used. This particular fluid is only used in vehicles that have an SCR or Selective Catalytic Reduction System. Today, all leading brands use SCR, abiding by the mandate in 2010 to meet low Nitrogen Oxide standards.
DEF has a shelf life of around 3 years when stored in optimal conditions – between 23 and 68 degrees F. Any fluid older than 3 years can have harmful effects. It can contaminate the whole system.
Best DEF Fluid For Powerstroke – Editor’s Choice
It’s finally time to delve deeper into this topic and explore the different picks available on the market. There’s quite an array of products, we must say. But, which one of them is suitable for your Powerstroke? We shall find out now.
1. Motorcraft – Genuine Ford Fluid – Diesel Exhaust Fluid
Motorcraft is a leader when it comes to DEFs and is the most commonly embraced choice by Ford owners. Let’s learn the reasons behind this:
- It uses the SCR catalyst to reduce NOx emissions. It is a mandatory product for all diesel engines with SCR.
- It meets all the purity standards and requirements of ISO.
- The certified DEF has a nozzle that has been designed keeping fitment in mind. It perfectly fits Ford diesel vehicles.
- The fluid also meets the latest environment standards set by the center.
- Since it is the recommended fluid for Ford, there are very slim chances that something might go wrong or you might be unhappy with the choice.
2. Valvoline Premium Blue Diesel Exhaust Fluid
Valvoline is another very reliable company that produces excellent products. Its DEF has received a good number of positive reviews and that’s why it has made it to our list! Its features are as follows:
- It is compatible with all SCR systems – on and off the highway.
- The premium blue DEF has the AdBlue and API certifications.
- It abides by the ISO 22241 specifications.
- The product is manufactured and packed under strict safety conditions, ensuring purity. It reaches the user free from contamination.
- The fluid comes with a fill hose to help pour the DEF into the tank with ease.
- It significantly reduces NOx emissions.
3. Blue Def DEF002 Diesel Exhaust Fluid
The Blue Def Diesel Exhaust Fluid has been approved for use in all diesel engines with SCR systems. This, of course, includes Ford Powerstroke vehicles. Below are a few additional details:
- Upon pouring 1 gallon of Blue Def into the system, you will be able to use it for around 300 miles.
- It has been proven to reduce NOx emissions significantly in SCR systems.
- It comes with a fill tube for easy pouring without spills and mess.
- It meets all EPA guidelines.
- This popular brand of DEF comes at a fair price especially when compared to the other options.
4. Genuine GM Fluid – ACDelco
If you are looking for the exact same liquid that your Ford already had, this is the one you should choose. It is a direct OEM replacement, following all the OE standards. Read on to find out more:
- The urea-based reactant is suitable only for SCR systems.
- It reduces NOx emissions to abide by all the standards set.
- It meets all the standards of purity including the very strict ISO 22241.
- The DEF is also a part of the 2010 EPA emission regulations.
- You can use this DEF in all heavy duty diesel engines.
- It comes with a nozzle designed specifically for diesel engines so that you pour it easily.
5. Prestone HD1001-2PK Command Diesel Exhaust Fluid
The Prestone DEF is available in packs of 1 and 2, 2.5 gallons each. It consists of 32.5% urea and 67.5% water along with the following features:
- It works with all diesel engines that are equipped with SCR systems.
- It is non-toxic and easy to handle. It is also safe to use in all compatible systems.
- It abides by ISO 22241 and API requirements.
- You can also use it along with other DEF products such as AdBlue.
- This essential fluid does a great job in maintaining modern diesel engines and reducing emissions.
DEF is a great addition to diesel engine systems that require a lot of power. These engines emitted a lot of pollutants into the atmosphere until regulations came into execution. With DEF the emissions are minimal and the environment is protected at least to an extent. To ensure that you pour the right product as and when required, you should know which brands to go with. We hope you found this article helpful in this regard. Should there be any more doubts, please feel free to reach out.