The engine is the heart of the vehicle. Its health and performance determine the performance of the vehicle. But, how does the engine stay in top shape? Enter engine oil!
The engine oil lubricates, cleans, protects, and improves the efficiency of the engine. This further improves the life of the vehicle while providing a smooth driving experience. And, who doesn’t like a smooth drive?
If you own a 7.3 L Powerstroke diesel, you have an extremely powerful engine in your possession. But, even the most reliable engines need adequate care and maintenance. Hence, using the right type of oil for the engine is extremely important.
The HEUI fuel injection system of the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel needs a high pressurized oil. A heavy-duty diesel engine oil with the right viscosity is critical for the great performance of the engine and the vehicle, of course.
Over the years, synthetic oils have proved to become the most recommended oil for 7.3 Powerstroke. We have put together a list of the best synthetic oils for a 7.3 Powerstroke diesel.
Best Oil for 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
1. Rotella T6 Synthetic oil for 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
The Shell Rotella T6 is one of the best in the business. It is a fully synthetic engine oil that has excellent features and a proven track record. Here are its features:
- The Shell T6 has a viscosity 5W-40 and ensures that the engine is in good working condition even at -30 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It features Triple Protection Plus technology, which protects the engine against wear, deposits, and breakdown while keeping the durability and performance of the engine intact.
- It enhances the fuel efficiency of the engine by 1.5%, thus reducing fuel consumption costs.
- It also offers significantly better protection against harmful wear than the previous generation of API CJ-4 oils.
- It provides improved resistance to breakdown by heat and therefore advanced protection to the engine.
- The Rotella T6 provides improved deposit control and protects the engine against the effects of contaminants.
- Shear stability minimizes viscosity loss and maintains optimal engine oil pressure.
- The low-ash formulation of the Rotella T6 helps in maintaining vehicle emissions compliance, in-line with the current standards.
2. Schaeffer Manufacturing 9000-005 Supreme
The Supreme 9000 full synthetic oil by Shaeffer is a premium and reliable oil which aims to maximize durability and extend the life of the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Let’s have a look at its features:
- The Supreme 9000 has a viscosity of 5W-40, which resists thickening and performs very well under extreme temperatures. It improves the fuel efficiency of the engine, thereby reducing fuel costs.
- It keeps the engine clean by suppressing deposits, sludge, and varnish from key components. This improves the engine’s performance.
- It significantly reduces friction and provides excellent protection against wear.
- It is highly durable and can withstand a higher heat range. It has very good thermal stability which prevents the formation of deposits at high temperatures.
- It showcases high shear performance.
- The Supreme 9000 meets all the requirements of API CJ-4.
- It has extended drain intervals as a result of reduced oil aging.
3. Valvoline Premium for 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
The Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme synthetic oil is well known for being the only oil that is recommended and endorsed by Cummins Inc. Needless to say, this is high-performance engine oil and is packed with features.
- It has a viscosity of 5W-40, which performs well under varied weather conditions.
- It improves the fuel efficiency of the vehicle, helping you reduce fuel consumption costs.
- It is ideal for protection in emissions treatment equipped engines, including those with Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Diesel Particulate Filters.
- It provides protection against deposits, soot, and other contaminants.
- The Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme oil provides faster and safe start during extremely low temperatures and has advanced thermal properties for high temperatures.
4. Ravenol NDT Fully Synthetic Motor Oil
Ravenol oils are manufactured in Germany and set high standards of performance in the category. Ravenol NDT Nord Duty Truck is a fully synthetic heavy-duty engine oil delivering improved engine performance and durability.
- It has a viscosity of 5W-40 which makes it a solution for all weather conditions.
- It offers superior engine protection in conditions of high heat, which also works very well in cold temperatures as low as -59 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ravenol NDT delivers improved fuel efficiency of the engine.
- It is suitable and offers protection for the latest low-emission engines equipped with diesel exhaust after-treatment systems.
- It delivers exceptional protection against wear and resists depositing.
- It offers excellent aging resistance hence elongating the life of the engine.
- It has high oxidation stability, high-pressure absorption and retains excellent viscosity.
- It has an API CJ-4/SM license
5. Liqui Moly Synthetic oil for 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
The Liqui Moly Synthetic oil is a fully synthetic oil which is very popular due to its performance. It provides a long engine life and is suited for use throughout the year.
- It has a viscosity of 5W-40, providing the ability to perform in extreme weather conditions.
- It provides excellent wear resistance and engine cleanliness.
- It saves fuel by improving the efficiency of the engine, also reducing fuel expenses.
- It provides faster and smooth start at low temperatures.
- It has high shear stability.
- It maintains optimum oil pressure under all conditions.
While the aforementioned oils work very well for a 7.3 Powerstroke engine, we strongly recommend that you read the user’s manual of your vehicle and select the best suitable oil for your vehicle model. A lot could also depend on the weather conditions in the area where you reside. It is not a bad idea to consult a mechanic either, to understand what your vehicle needs. You must also change the oil at regular intervals depending on your usage, to keep the engine in good condition.
Which oil do you think you should use for your 7.3 Powerstroke diesel? Do let us know if you have any engine oil in mind that deserves to be on this list.