While we have heard a lot about spark plugs, we don’t usually pay attention to glow plugs. However, they are quite important in diesel engines because they provide ignition. Many people confuse them as the same and end up making mistakes during purchase.
To steer this confusion away and to help you pick the best glow plugs for your 7.3 power stroke, we present to you this article. Please read on for details and our expert picks.
What are glow plugs?
Glow plugs are devices that provide ignition but they do not play a role in starting the engine. This is the biggest difference between glow plugs and spark plugs. Glow plugs are the most important for diesel engines in colder temperatures because ignition is not easy at this time. The temperature is not suitable for ignition and starting the vehicle is a challenge. This is when glow plugs come into the scene.
You must remember here that glow plugs play a role only in the ignition. They do not contribute to the drive.
Best glow plugs for 7.3 power stroke
If, for any reason, the glow plugs on your 7.3 power stroke are not working, you can replace them with new glow plugs from the market. There are many options to pick from and we aim to ease the choosing process by bringing you our favorites.
1. ZD-11 Genuine OEM Glow Plugs – Set of 8
These are lightweight and durable glow plugs from the reliable brand Ford/Motorcraft. They are suitable for 6.0 and 7.3 power stroke diesel engines. They come with quite a few exciting features such as the following:
- They have E spec connectors.
- They are resistant to corrosion and have the ability to heat up quickly.
- Their conical seat has a positive seal.
- The glow plugs have regulating and heating coils.
- They are quite compact and do not occupy much space.
- Made specifically for turbo diesel engines
- Compact and lightweight
- Some users are unhappy with the durability
2. Bosch Glow Plug – 80028
If you are only looking for a single glow plug from a reliable brand, we suggest that you give Bosch a shot. This particular glow plug comes with many features and attractive promises. Let’s take a closer look:
- It works on a patented Duraterm technology that enhances the glow plug’s ability to reach high temperatures. In other words, it facilitates quick starts. The technology cuts the wait time into half or less.
- It has nickel-plated roller threads that contribute to more strength. They also avoid seizures.
- The glow plug also has twin Viton seals, which protect the coils and increase longevity.
- The pre-heating time is 4.0 and the reach is 25.0
- The size of the thread is 10 mm.
- Genuine OE part
- Resistant to damage and corrosion
- The spark plugs work well in cold temperatures but not in extreme conditions
3. OEM Ford/Motorcraft Idi Glow Plug for 7.3 Power Stroke
This set of glow plugs comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty. It boasts of quick and effective ignition along with multiple other features. Below are a few:
- It is easy to install thanks to its ergonomic design.
- It has solid construction that makes it durable. Thermal expansion is also easy thanks to this construction.
- It heats up quickly, not wasting too much time. In fact, it can reach temperatures that its competitors cannot.
- It is an OEM genuine part.
- It is compatible with many vehicles. So, fitment won’t be an issue.
- Quick start
- Quick heating
4. Wellman Glow Plugs
Wellman Glow Plugs come in sets of 8. They are suitable for models of 7.3 and 6.0 power stroke diesel engines. However, we advise that you check the fitment for your particular model before making a purchase. Let’s go through a few details about these glow plugs:
- They heat up quickly and provide faster starts. In fact, you will see them perform 20% better than most others in their league.
- The glow plugs control current draw for optimal vibration and heating of coil.
- They are resistant to corrosion.
- The seal has an O-ring that deviates the combustion seepage.
- The construction is superior and durable.
- Superior construction
- Limited compatibility
5. Ensun Diesel Glow Plugs for 7.3 power stroke – Pack of 8
Ensun Diesel Glow Plugs are known for high performance and excellent durability. They come in a set of 8, enabling you to change all spark plugs together. Here’s why we think you should buy them:
- They have dual coils that enable quick starts.
- They heat up quite well, competing with high-end counterparts.
- The glow plugs have a 1-year warranty.
- The ignition process is efficient, quick, and smooth.
- It is compatible only with indirect injected diesel models of 6.9 and 7.3 power stroke vehicles.
- Fairly priced
- Highly efficient
- Limited compatibility
Learn more about glow plugs for 7.3 power stroke engines by going through our FAQs.
1) Will a diesel start with bad glow plugs?
Yes, it will. But, that won’t be an ideal scenario. If the glow plugs fail, there will be unnecessary pressure causing the engine to hard start.
2) Is it okay to drive with a bad glow plug?
You can drive with a bad glow plug but if you do not address it, it will lead to serious damage. This is why immediately taking care of it is important.
3) Should you replace all glow plugs together?
If one glow plug burns out, the chances are that in the near future, the others will too. This is why experts recommend that you change all the glow plugs together and avoid hassle.
4) How many glow plugs does a 7.3 have?
There’s one glow plug for each cylinder. Since a 7.3 power stroke has 8 cylinders, it has 8 glow plugs.
5) Are glow plugs and spark plugs the same?
Their function is the same – to ignite. However, spark plugs are for gasoline engines while glow plugs are required in diesel engines.
6) What causes glow plugs to fail?
There can be several reasons. Some of them are:
- Carbon build-up
- Wrong spray pattern
- Long glow cycle
- Problems in the glow relay
7) How long do diesel glow plugs last?
They tend to last for 100,000 miles. But, due to several reasons, they may fail earlier.
Through this guide, we are sure you understand that delaying the replacement of glow plugs is not recommended. If you see any problems, we advise that you choose any of the above sets of glow plugs and replace them immediately.