How important is a starter in an engine? Very much.
It turns out that a good starter can promise safe operation while a weak one can cause the engine to suffer. We all know what happens when the engine is damaged, right? So, it is wisest to buy the best starter for a 7.3 power stroke when the original one starts showing signs of wear and tear.
Our article has been designed to help you understand how to buy the best starter along with helpful tips. Let’s begin.
Best starter for 7.3 power stroke – buying guide
Since there are many different types of engines, there are many different types of starters. Each of them comes with specific features. For your 7.3 power stroke, you should look at buying a starter that satisfies the following criteria:
- Efficiency: Go for a 12V starter to enjoy optimal performance. You should also remember to choose an interchangeable bolt so that it has more diverse applications.
- Compatibility: Your engine will allow only certain types of starters. You must know of these specifications so that you choose a starter that’s compatible.
- Quality: Good quality components will promise longevity. We are sure that’s what you aim for. Poor quality products will wear down quite quickly, making you go back to the drawing board again.
- Performance: Suitable starters act without any problems or delays. Isn’t that what we all want? Make sure you go through the starter replacement part’s specifications to ensure great functionality.
Once you find a few starters that meet all these requirements, you can go and ahead and compare them to zero in on an affordable one. You must be sure never to prioritize the price because these features are more important.
Best starter for 7.3 power stroke
It’s time to reveal the editor’s picks! We have enlisted some of the top choices of the 7.3 power stroke based on reviews and reputation. Below is a detailed explanation about each.
1. DB Electrical – SNDO355
DB Electrical is known for its high quality products at great prices. The DB Electrical SNDO355 is a leading aftermarket starter with multiple features such as the following:
- It is 100% new and has been designed to fit the OEM specifications.
- It fits a variety of vans, trucks, F-Series pickups, Excursion, etc. which have a 7.3 L power stroke engine.
- This is a 12V starter with 13 teeth.
- The starter type is OSGR.
- Its power is 4.0 KW.
- The bolts are interchangeable
- Engine works at least 50% faster
- 1-year warranty
- Gets slower over time
2. DB Electrical SMT0024
This starter functions to improve speed so that the engine performs smoothly. It is made of good quality material and promises to last a while. Below are the reasons why you should buy it:
- It is a 12V starter with 12 teeth.
- Its power is 3.6 KW.
- It fits multiple 7.3 power stroke engines perfectly but to know for sure, you should cross check your truck’s model.
- It is a new starter that satisfies all OEM standards.
- It is the right choice for a novice because it is easy to install.
- Delivers more torque because it uses high quality materials and field coils.
- Perfect for beginners – plug and play installation
- Tested for safety
- The quality is not great
3. DB Electrical SND0027
Are you looking for enhanced service life? Do you want to improve your engine’s overall performance? If these are your criteria, you will love this starter. Here’s why:
- It is also a new part that abides by all OEM specifications.
- The starter comes with excellent features that help the truck function smoothly.
- It has good efficiency and performs optimally.
- Its power is 2.5 KW and it has 13 teeth.
- The product has a 1-year technical warranty.
- Easy to assemble
- A great buy at an affordable price
- It tends to make noise during operation
4. DB Electrical SMT0018
This 12 V starter with 13 teeth is yet another gem from the DB Electrical brand. It is the perfect fit for many types of engines. It also has a variety of features that are sure to impress you. Let’s take a look at a few:
- It operates without any noise.
- It comes with nickel and copper assembly. In other words, it is a very durable starter.
- Its sealed bearings make sure that there are no leakages. It also keeps dirt and slime away.
- Its power is around 3.6 KW.
- You don’t have to worry about rust or corrosion issues with this starter.
- Excellent quality
- Reliability is not great as the others in its league
You will note that these starters are from the DB Electrical brand because it is the most popular brand out there and is synonymous with great quality and affordability.
Now, we are quickly going to answer a few questions that we receive regularly. Stay tuned!
What are the symptoms of a bad starter?
You will face cranking. Clicked or weak cranking is a sure sign of a bad starter and you should replace it immediately.
Are all starters same?
Their function is usually the same but their specifications may vary. Compatibility is another factor that you should keep in mind.
What is a CPS on a 7.3 power stroke?
CPS is short for Camshaft Position Sensor. On a power stroke, you will see that it is a Hall Effect sensor. You will find it at the front of your engine.
How many amps does a 7.3 starter draw?
Around 1500 Amps.
We hope this buying guide comes handy and enables you to buy the right starter without wasting any more time. If you have any more doubts or would like us to answer your questions, please feel free to get in touch with us.