Cleaning an engine is quite a challenge, especially because you run the risk of damaging essential parts. The traditional method requires the use of a pressure washer, which can be difficult to use. This is why, we thought we would discuss ways to clean an engine bay without the use of water.
In this article, we shall cover two methods. One method doesn’t require water at all while the other one requires a little water but no pressure washer. Let’s get started.
How to clean the engine bay without water
Using water to clean the engine is not just risky but the engine runoff can actually damage the environment. Also, if you are in a location where water is hard to access, washing the engine bay is not a wise idea at all. In such cases, we recommend that you use engine degreasing wipes. Manufacturers such as GUNK have come up with innovative degreasers that can leave your engine bay squeaky clean without the use of a single drop of water.
These wipes, which are larger than regular wipes, are designed to get all the dust and debris out of your engine very smoothly. Each wipe is double-sided – one side is smooth while the other is scrubby. They are absorbent and are soaked in the required cleaning liquid. The packaging is such that you will not get any dry wipes. So, all you have to do is to remove a degreasing wipe and use either or both sides of the wipe based on your requirement.
How to clean the engine bay without a pressure washer
If you are okay with using a little water but without a pressure washer, you can follow the steps below:
- Park your car on a safe, level ground surface and turn the engine off.
- Let it cool completely.
- Wear rubber gloves and other protective gear.
- Use an air compress to remove all the dust and debris. A soft brush may help scrub stuck debris off.
- Now, take a bucket of hot tap water. You can also add mild soap to remove oily residue.
- Using a soft cloth, wipe the surface of the engine bay.
- You can also use degreasers based on how much residue has built-up.
- After you are done, use a dry and soft cloth to wipe off the remaining residue.
If you are careful and don’t use too much water, there’s no reason why you should be worried. The above methods are tried and tested. So, you can try either of them based on your convenience. Should there be any doubts, please feel free to reach out to us.