But before that, let’s see if you really need to upgrade your clutch:
|Best Air Filters for 6.7 Powerstroke
|EFT CLUTCH KIT
|South Bend 1944-6K
Should you buy a new clutch for your 7.3 power stroke?
If you fall into any of the categories below, you should. Otherwise, you may not need to yet.
- Your truck may exceed its prescribed towing capacity
- You recently increased the torque or horsepower of your truck
- You want to use your truck in drag racing and similar competitions
The trick is to understand what you expect out of your truck and whether it can deliver that to you.
Here are a few things you should remember while choosing your new clutch:
- The horsepower rating of the new clutch should be equal or more than that of your truck.
- For towing, you need high torque clutches. These feel different from standard ones.
- If you are participating in sled pulling or drag racing, the clutch has to be SFI approved. Only multi-disc clutches are allowed in this case.
If your clutch doesn’t meet the standards and requirements, it may cause trouble instead of giving you an upgraded experience.
Now, let’s head over to the most important section of this article.
Best clutch for 7.3 power stroke
After thorough research and understanding, we have come up with the best available options on the market today. Take a look!
1. Hayden Automotive Premium Fan Clutch
The best way to start a list is with an Amazon’s Choice product! Hayden Automotive brings to you a superior clutch that promises unfazed performance. Below are a few features that we absolutely love:
- This is a heavy duty clutch designed for similar trucks.
- It promises OE performance and appearance. It also fits easily just like the standard clutch. So, if your original clutch has worn out, this is the one to choose.
- It has been designed and tested for excellent performance.
- The clutch has a metal or a curled up piece that senses heat and dissipates it efficiently.
- It is extremely easy to install.
- Meets or outperforms factory fan clutch
- It promises to last long
- May wobble
2. EFT Clutch Kit
This one has specifically been made for Ford models from 1994 to 1997. EFT is a leading brand when it comes to clutch upgrades and this model does not disappoint at all. Here’s a closer look:
- It matches the vehicle’s performance characteristics.
- This is not just a clutch replacement but a complete kit that includes a flywheel conversion kit. It also has all the components needed to replace the clutch. This means that you won’t have to buy anything additional.
- The manufacturer offers a 12-month or 12000-mile warranty.
- It is guaranteed to fit your truck without any problems.
- Easy to install
- The flywheel makes noticeable noise in neutral
3. South Bend Organic Clutch Kit
South Bend Clutch is another excellent brand delivering exactly what it promises. It has a few unbeatable features that make it worth a purchase. Let’s take a look at what they are:
- It fits Ford 7.3 L models from 1999 to 2003.
- The clutch pedal is of high quality and is certainly easy to push.
- The kit comes with a one-piece flywheel.
- It promises OE performance.
- Make sure you check the fitment before purchasing. The transmission you should expect is ZF-6 1944-60K.
- It works great
- It is easy to install and use
- More expensive than the others
- The engine makes a little noise when the clutch is used
4. EFT Stage 2 Clutch Kit
This is another kit from EFT, which is for a different set of Ford vehicles. If you have a truck model from 1999 to 2003, you can definitely give this a shot. Here’s why:
- It has been designed to fit your model perfectly. It meets all OE specifications to ensure this.
- You will enjoy similar or better than factory performance.
- The kit includes everything you need for installation, making it easy and quick.
- If you are unhappy with the kit, you can always return it or have it replaced. The manufacturers offer a 12-month warranty with this one.
- You can also get technical support online whenever the need arises.
- Value for money
- Works as expected
- None so far
5. South Bend – Stock Replacement Clutch
We shall close our list with a second good product from South Bend. It includes a flywheel kit and a number of great features. Below are more details:
- It fits the 1999 to 2003 Ford models.
- It comes with all the parts needed for smooth functioning.
- It is easy to install.
- It performs just like the factory clutch and meets OE standards.
- Works great
- Slightly expensive
On the surface, it will definitely seem like all clutch upgrades are the same but you will see differences in performance, price, and requirement. These are the factors you should consider while comparing the aforementioned clutches to zero in on the best. We hope our list was helpful!
If you require any additional details, please reach out to us via comments.