If you are a proud owner of a 6.0 powerstroke engine like me, then you should check these recommended oils for 6.0 powerstroke vehicles.
This beast of engines generates enormous power. It produces a massive amount of energy, and that’s why it needs proper care to perform at its best always. To maintain the appropriate condition of the 6.0 powerstroke engine, you need to check and change the oil regularly. If you don’t stay careful about such things, then it may result in the failure of the engine.
Now, let’s have a look on the top lubricants for this gigantic diesel monster.
Best Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke
1. Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty 5W-40 Engine Oil
Shell is one of the most famous brands of lubricants all around the world. If you are looking for a well-performing oil at a competitive price, then the Shell Rotella T6 is the right option to choose.
Features of Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke Engine are:
- It helps to improve the efficiency of the engine for almost up to 1.5% higher and that too without yielding the durability and protection of the oil.
- It has advanced multi-functional additives to give an enhanced safety against dirt, soot, etc. containments.
- The improved heat-resistant system prevents the breakdown due to heat and protects the system during the service interval.
- It is compatible with all the exhaust emissions control systems.
- As it uses the low ash formula, it lowers the carbon amount that builds up in the engine and also keeps the emission clean and clear.
- Unlike old oil formulas, the Rotella T6 from Shell protects the engine in all weather conditions due to its high-pressure structure endurance.
2. Valvoline Premium Blue SAE 15W-40 Engine Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke
This premium blue from Valvoline is an another widely used motor oil among the 6.0 powerstroke engine users. Its supreme synthetic formula and protective nature will help to keep the diesel running smooth and steady.
Features of Valvoline Premium Blue SAE 15W-40 Engine Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke are:
- It is the only one engine oil recommended and endorsed by Cummins.
- It will keep the in-grade performance of the engine through the robust shear stability.
- Due to the triple dispersant chemical formula, it protects the engine from soot thickening.
- It has a license for the API services like CI-4, CI-4 Plus, CJ-4, CK-4, and CH-4.
- Your engine will get protection against daily wear and tear.
- It can work in any temperature with SAE rating of over 40 in normal conditions and 15 in cold temperatures.
3. Mobil 1 44986 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck Synthetic Motor Oil
Mobil is one of the most reputed powerstroke engine oil providers. And the Mobil 1 5W-40 turbo synthetic motor oil is an excellent option for the heavy-duty uses. It is a highly recommended oil by the 6.0 powerstroke engine owners worldwide.
Features of Mobil 1 44986 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Motor Oil are:
- It protects the engine from the sludge deposits at low temperatures and varnish at high temperatures.
- This oil provides excellent wear protection and keeps the engine clean and smooth while in operation.
- Any cold-start oil with 5W rating can be combined with this Mobil 1 oil thanks to its wide viscosity range.
- It gives superior protection against the everyday wear and tear of the engine compared to other standard oils.
- You can use this synthetic oil for the varieties of vehicles like cars, trucks, ATVs, motorcycles, farm equipment, etc.
4. Liqui Moly 2041 Premium 5W-40 Synthetic Engine Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke
The Liqui Moly premium 5W-40 engine oil is perfect for heavy-duty trucks and high-end cars with 6.0 powerstroke engines. It has comparatively low price than the other standard engine oils mentioned in this list but provides excellent performance on the daily purpose.
Features of Liqui Moly 2041 Premium 5W-40 Engine Oil are:
- It has a high level of wear resistance, and that’s why it provides extended life operation.
- Your engine will have a reliable performance at both the high and low temperatures.
- It protects the engine actively against the polluting compounds.
- The container has a good design for secure storage and extended usage.
- It is available in 1 liter (single or pack of 12) and 5 liters (single or a pack of 4) packs.
5. Castrol 06249 EDGE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil
This advanced premium full synthetic oil from Castrol delivers extreme performance in all weather conditions. It is one of the most used and recommended engine oil from the worldwide users. Even many F1 racers use this oil brand for their racing cars.
Features of Castrol 06249 5W-40 Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke Engine are:
- It will protect the engine in the drain process and at the extreme pressure.
- At the various levels of driving speeds, it reduces metal-to-metal contact.
- It meets VW quality standards for oil including VW 502 00, VW 504 00, and VW 507 00.
- With the strong titanium formula, this 5W-40 oil will help to gain maximum performance from your 6.0 powerstroke engine.
- It will keep the engine clean and active at high or low temperatures.
- It performs best when used with the Bosch oil filters.
6. Archoil AR9100 powerstroke Engine Oil
The Archoil AR9100 oil is best suitable for the powerstroke engines. They form a solid boundary film that improves and protects the engine, system and gearboxes. This engine oil eliminates cold start issues and hard start issues too. Aarchoil engine oil increases power and reduces friction with anti-corrosion protection.
Features of Archoil AR9100 Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke Engine are:
- Archoil reduces the wear & increases the component life of the engine.
- It has extreme pressure protection for the engine.
- The oil also reduces engine noise and vibration that makes the engine run smoothly.
- This powerstroke oil is also helpful for improving the friction heat in the engine.
- It protects the engine at the time of cold and mild weather and not the engine jam.
- Archoil engine oil eliminates HEUI injector problems from the engine.
- It is best compatible for gasoline and diesel engines, hydraulics, gearboxes and power steering systems.
7. Schaeffer powerstroke Engine Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke
When it comes to a powerful engine oil Schaeffer’s SynShield oil is one of the best. It is a heavy duty diesel oil that provides maximum ptotection against the rust, oxidation and aeration on the engine. Have a look at this durable engine oil.
Features of Schaeffer Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke Engine are:
- The Schaeffer powerstroke engine oil is formulated to meet API CK-4.
- It has excellent wear protection during the operating conditions of the vehic;e.
- It has strong oxidation and viscosity control along with oil consumption.
- The Schaeffer powerstroke oil has better contamination control along with soot busting and deposit capability.
- It modifies the friction of the engine with micron moly and penetrates the engine to work more efficiently.
8. Ford Genuine Diesel Motor Oil – Super Duty
This is a 5-quart Motorcraft oil recommended for Ford power stroke engines such as construction vehicles, buses, trucks, and other heavy-duty vehicles. Below are the reasons why we think you should buy it for your engine:
- The Motorcraft is a high-quality, light oil for diesel engines. It has been formulated using a unique additive technology.
- It contains premium hydro-processed base oils.
- It operates in a convenient temperature range (20 degrees F to -7 degrees F), without causing too much hassle.
- The oil’s uniform concentration improves the overall output.
- You can expect a smoother ride once you start using this oil.
9. Schaffer Manufacturing Co. Full Synthetic Oil
Schaffer Manufacturing Co. oil is available in 1 gallon and 1 quart bottles. You can also buy a pack of 12 1-quart bottles based on your convenience. This is a fully synthetic diesel engine oil with the following characteristics:
- The oil is known to improve the durability of the engine without negatively affecting the fuel economy.
- It has been formulated to keep the engine free of carbon buildup, soot, and sludge.
- It has Penetro and Micro Moly that reduce friction and avoid scuffing.
- The oil can withstand high temperature very well and resists thinning. At the same time, even in cold temperatures, it works smoothly and quickly lubricates the engine.
- It has a high viscosity index.
- It has low volatility, which ensures that the oil consumption is controlled.
- This oil works best in non-EGR and off-highway engines.
10. Delo Synthetic Motor Oil
If you are looking for motor oil that works well even in sub-zero temperatures, this is the ideal choice for you. Here are a few of its specifications:
- The oil is suitable for both diesel engines and gasoline engines.
- It works on the IsoSyn technology that makes it smooth and highly functional.
- Fuel combustion is highly optimized with this motor oil.
- It has the ability to maintain protection through temperature variations.
- The oil burns clean and ensures that there is minimal to no scuffing.
How to pick the right motor oil for your car?
Motor oil is like oxygen for vehicles. It is what gives them the strength to function. However, there are too many different types of motor oils in the market today that can create a lot of confusion. This is why we thought we would speak a little about how you can choose the correct one.
The major difference among the available motor oils is the viscosity. Viscosity is nothing but a fluid’s resistance to flow. The right viscosity completely depends on your vehicle. This is why you should start your homework with the manual. It will clearly describe what type of oil your car needs and what its viscosity is supposed to be. Oil additives are also important. Refiners use different additives to enhance the properties of the motor oil. Good oils keep the engine cool and free from corrosion.
A few people also prefer synthetic oil over conventional oil because apparently, synthetic oils last longer and do not cause too much damage to the engine parts. They also have the ability to function smoothly at higher temperatures. However, we would recommend synthetic oils only for high-end cars. For a regular car, you can choose either conventional oil or synthetic blend oil.
The other factors that you should consider are the age of the vehicle, your current oil, and the brand of the motor oil. Some oils are meant specifically for old cars while some others are for new vehicles. Bring all the factors together, and you will be able to decide which one to go with.
Also, if your current motor oil is working fine for you, there is absolutely no need to change it. Why waste your time trying to fix something that isn’t broken? Choose the same oil as before and ride carefree!
If there’s any confusion or you don’t feel sure about the motor oil, you should either stick to what the manual says or go to the mechanic for help. There are some things that you should never experiment with. Motor oil is one of them.
1) What is the best oil to use in a 6.0 power stroke?
Shell Rotella R6 has consistently been among the top oils for 6.0 power stroke engines. The others on our list are not far behind either.
2) Is Rotella T6 approved by Ford?
Yes, indeed. Ford Motor Co. has approved Rotella T6 for us in its power stroke engines.
3) How often should you change the oil in a 6.0 power stroke?
The rule of thumb is 6 months or 7500 miles, whichever you reach first.
4) Can oil leakage damage your engine?
Yes, it can lead to very serious problems if you don’t take care of it immediately.
You know that when you need to choose the best oil for your 6.0 powerstroke engine, then you need to be picky. As there are many options available in the market and all are claiming to be the best engine oil, it’s quite a difficult task to get the right additive for your vehicle. Also, there are two groups of people; one in favor of using 15W-40 and the other in support of 5W-40 engine oil to get the top performance from a 6.0 powerstroke system. I’ll cover that topic later.
Using the list above, you can get the high-quality oil for your 6.0 powerstroke engine. Friendly speaking, any lubricant can run your vehicle and help to perform your engine. But, if you want a reliable, long lasting, and top-notch performance from your beast 6.0 powerstroke engine, then you need a compatible motor oil with it. And, that’s why I made this list.
You can share your thoughts about the post, and if there is any top-performing engine oil about which you have a good opinion, then also you are free to write to me.
4 thoughts on “Best Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke Engines – Top Oils of 2021”
In 2009 Ford used the 6.4, did you swap it for the 6.0?
Yes, it is a great idea to swap 6.0 with 6.4. Many tech-nerds are also working on it and looking forward for great results. You can surely try and comment your experience.
I could not find your comparison on the 15w and 5w oil people. should be dependent on what climate the 6.0 is in …., no? what are your thoughts?
As I said in the article above there are two groups of people, one in favor of using 15W-40 and the other in support of 5W-40 engine oil. climate definitely plays a major role. I would recommend you to use 15W-40 engine as I have personally used it and it works perfect for me.